Blog Archive


Friday, July 20, 2012

Some of My Thoughts

I keep track of every event I attend and have done so since I joined the Masonic organization over 27 years ago. Why I bring this up is that since we are a right at the half way point in the year for the 2012 Divan officers, I decided to look at where we stood on activities, events, and meetings. And let me be up front, I'm not bragging or complaining because I'm having a great time doing this and don't regret it one minute but with the event last night it was my 310th Masonic event for the year. This also doesn’t include the over 5 hours per day I put in planning, updating, and handling administrative items for the Shrine. And to be fair to all the progressing Divan members, every one of them probably has the same number of activities they have each done so far this year. And with the exception of Dave Heizer, who the Divan often “dumps on” for the daytime activities, we are all trying to hold down a full time job to give us the funds to do this job. Despite what some may think, we pay our own way to almost everything we do and I don't know a progressing Divan member who actually hasn't put out several thousand dollars of his own money to help support the efforts of the Shrine. But let me be truthful, I don't think there is one of us who would trade this opportunity for anything. We all are appreciative of the opportunity the Nobles of Antioch have given us to serve you and when we see the smile on a kids face from the care they have gotten at the Hospital or the Noble who comes up and says, "This is the most fun I've had in years,” it is all worth it.

1 comment:

  1. Jeff, one of the main reasons I (finally) joined the Shrine was seeing the kinds of activities Antioch does and I have not been disappointed in the things I have attended so far. I could never find a compelling reason to join until now. I hope the Divan will keep up the good work and the fine activities that this year has brought so far.

    ReplyDelete